Eligibility for Lap-band Surgery
At our Toronto CIBO Clinic, we do a careful, thorough assessment to see if the Lap-Band procedure is right for you.
You may be eligible for the adjustable gastric Lap-Band if:
- You're at least 18 years old.
- You are 50 lbs. or more over your ideal body weight with a BMI over 35 or
You have BMI of 30 with health problems as a result of your weight
(diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, etc).
- You have been significantly overweight for more than five years.
- Your serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term success.
- You are not suffering from any other disease that may have caused your obesity.
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
Eligibility for Lap-Band surgery is not limited to the above criteria. We assess each person on a case by case basis. If the Lap-Band isn't the right weight loss solution for you, we may have other weight loss tools that better suit your needs.
What is BMI?
Your Body Mass Index - BMI measures the ratio of your height to your weight. Although it doesn't actually measure body fat, it's a relatively reliable indicator of your degree of obesity and can be used as a guideline for treatment.
- BMI 25 to 29.9 - overweight
- BMI 30 to 34.9 - obese
- BMI 35 to 39.9 - severely obese
- BMI 40 and up - morbidly obese